A disciple of Jesus follows the life & teachings of Jesus
Each week during worship, Pastor Laura will dig deeper into the eight entry points into the journey to become a disciple of Jesus. Here we will expand upon that message as we reflect, wrestle, and interact with one another in a variety of ways.
This series is based on the book Becoming a Disciple: a lifelong venture by Adolf Hansen and colleagues. Want to read along? Purchase your book on Amazon
Questions? Contact Gina Dawson, Minister of Adult Discipleship at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Watch Pastor Laura’s message
May 17: “Who do YOU say that I am?” Watch & listen here .
May 24: “Fan or Follower?” Watch & listen here .
Reflect, ponder, wrestle, respond
Spend some time to reflect on your own experiences, by responding to the five questions from the Becoming a Disciple book. We created a journal page, which you can download here in pdf format . You are not alone on this journey in becoming a disciple of Jesus, and we encourage you to share with at least one other person - a partner, a friend, a family member.
You are also invited to anonymously share your reflections with the wider Faith community via this Google Form .
Expand on our mind map - what word or phrase or image comes to mind?
Together we will define what “follows the life & teachings of Jesus” means to us as a community through a shared mind map. A mind map is a collection of words and images that build off a central point. You can add your “bubbles” to the main point or build off another person’s “bubble.” Your responses in the “Reflect, ponder, wrestle, respond” section above may help you build your bubble.
This image is our starting point and the work we began before COVID-19. What will you add? Instructions on how to add a bubble and connect them are on the Google Slide. Go to the Mind Map
Additional Resources recommended from the book, “Becoming a Disciple”
- Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions, by Rachel Held Evans. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2010.
- Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship, by N.T. Wright. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1995.
- Following Jesus: Steps to a Passionate Faith, by Carolyn Slaughter. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2008.
- I Am a Follower: The Way, the Truth, and Life of Following Jesus, by Leonard Sweet. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2012.
- Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith, by Anne Lamott. New York: Anchor Books, 2000.
- Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith, by Rob Bell. New York: HarperOne, 2012.
- To Write Love on Her Arms (www.twloha.com).